Dana Rice has spent the past decade representing insurance companies in complex insurance coverage disputes involving claims throughout the United States. Although his experience spans multiple lines, Mr. Rice has concentrated his practice on matters involving commercial general liability, commercial auto, errors and omissions, directors and officers, employment practices liability, and excess/umbrella policies.
Mr. Rice's litigation practice includes representing insurers in declaratory judgment and bad faith actions throughout the Midwest, primarily in Illinois and Missouri. He handles all phases of coverage litigation, from the initial pleadings and discovery through dispositive motions and trial. His philosophy on litigation is a simple one: to vigorously represent his clients in the most effective and efficient means possible. While there will always be cases in which litigation is required, Mr. Rice also recognizes that sometimes the best resolutions are the ones reached outside the courtroom. This is why he prides himself on keeping his clients well-informed throughout the litigation process.
In addition to litigating cases, Mr. Rice dedicates a substantial portion of his practice to advising his clients on their coverage obligations and potential exposure for first-party and third-party claims. He also provides coverage assistance for clients in pre-litigation settlement conferences and mediations.
Mr. Rice's commitment to the insurance industry extends beyond the courtroom. He is a member of the Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation Associate Board of Directors, Midwest Division. The IICF is a national organization committed to helping communities and enriches lives by combining the collective strengths of the insurance industry to provide grants, volunteer service, and leadership.
Before joining Hinshaw in 2007, Mr. Rice represented insurance companies in coverage disputes at the law firm of Stellato & Schwartz, Ltd. His practice included insurance coverage litigation and appeals.
Executive Committee, Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation Associate Board of Directors – Midwest Division.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Illinois Super Lawyers Magazine, 2014 & 2015.
- Recognized as an "Illinois Emerging Lawyer" by Leading Lawyers Magazine, 2015.
Mr. Rice has represented insurers in matters involving a wide-variety of coverage issues. The following is a representative sample of some of the types of matters he is routinely involved in:
- Prosecuted a declaratory judgment action on behalf of a commercial auto insurer to seek a finding that client had no duty to defend or indemnify five putative insureds in four underlying personal injury lawsuits arising out of a commercial bus accident
- Tried case involving late notice coverage defense under a homeowners policy for personal injury claim; judgement entered in favor of client with finding that insurer owed no coverage for $450,000 judgment entered in underlying lawsuit
- Represented excess insurer in mediation involving catastrophic loss and multiple primary and excess insurers; successfully advocated pro rata contribution which avoided exhaustion of client's policy limit
- "Storm Spotter: Early Identification and Resolution of the Complex Claim,” at Hinshaw’s 2011 Insurance Services Symposium, in Chicago, Illinois, October 2011.
- Co-author of “Class Actions – The Challenges Facing Insurers in Defending Class Action Lawsuits,” a paper for the DRI Insurance Coverage & Claims Institute Conference in April 2009.
- January 30, 2012Insurance Coverage Alert
- November 4, 2010Insurance Coverage Alert
J.D., cum laude, DePaul University College of Law, 2004
- President, DePaul National Moot Court Society, 2003-2004
- Editor-in-Chief, DePaul Journal of Sports Law & Contemporary Problems, 2003-2004
B.A., Political Theory and Constitutional Democracy, Michigan State University, 2001
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois