CharCretia Di Bartolo's commercial litigation practice focuses in the areas of fidelity and surety law, insurance coverage, personal injury defense and employment defense.
Ms. Di Bartolo has represented sureties in payment and performance bond matters and in various commercial surety matters, including probate, motor vehicle dealer, injunction and other miscellaneous bonds. She has also assisted in claim investigations and provided advice and opinions regarding financial institution bond and commercial crime coverages. She has also advised carriers with respect to various types of insurance coverage, including general liability, professional liability and excess coverages. She regularly writes articles and presents on issues relating to fidelity coverage issues and surety claims.
Ms. Di Bartolo represents insurers and their insureds in various personal injury matters, including litigation involving various amusements and motor vehicle accidents and claims for wrongful death and negligence. She also represents employers in employment litigation, including claims of wrongful termination and sexual harassment. She has handled employment claims involving alleged sex, race, disability, age and national origin discrimination.
Ms. Di Bartolo has trial and motion practice experience in both the federal and state courts in Massachusetts and Rhode Island as well as arbitration and mediation experience in both jurisdictions. She has also represented clients before state and federal administrative agencies, such as the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination.
Ms. Di Bartolo joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in 2005 to open the firm's Boston and Providence offices, where she is the current Partner-in-Charge of both offices. She is an active member of the firm's Diversity Committee.
Upon graduation from law school, Ms. Di Bartolo clerked for the Superior Court of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- American Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers
Honors & Awards
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
Her presentations include:
- "Too Broad, Too Expensive, Too Bad: Discovery of Other Insureds' Claims Files and Other Claims Handling Practices," ABA Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, Midwinter Meeting, New York, New York, January 2015.
"Expansion and Contraction of the Employee Dishonesty Provision - The Sky's The Limit?", ABA Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, Midwinter Meeting, New York, New York, January 2014.
- “The Reasonable Insured Has Left the Building: Executive Risk Indemnity Inc. v. Pepper Hamilton,” Hinshaw’s 2009 Insurance Services Symposium, Chicago, Illinois, October 2009.
- “Discovery, Late Notice and Late Proof of Loss: The Reasonable Person in the Age of Enron, the Internet and 24-hour News Coverage,” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Section Fall Meeting, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 2009.
- "Misrepresentation or Concealment in the Application Process,” at the Surety Claims Institute 33rd Annual Meeting, Hot Springs, Virginia, June 2008.
Ms. Di Bartolo’s publications include:
"Definitions," Annotated Commercial Crime Policy, 3rd ed. (ABA Fall 2015).
- "The Impact of Attorney Negligence and Bad Acts on the Probate Bond Surety," The Law of Probate Bonds, 2d. ed. (2014).
- "Definitions," Annotated Financial Institution Bond, 3rd ed. (2014).
- "New York State Appellate Court Affirms Trial Court Summary Judgment In Favor of Insured On Direct Loss Issue But Remands For Further Findings Regarding Whether Rogue Trader Was An Employee of Insured," ABA Fidelity and Surety Law Committee Newsletter, Fall 2014.
- "Indirect Lending: It's Not Personal, Its Just Business," XIX Fid. Law. J. 53 (Nov. 2013).
- "The Surety Underwriter's Desk Book," contributing author, Chapter 41 (Rhode Island), ABA Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, 2013.
- "Who’s the Boss? The Impact of Professional Employer Organizations on Fidelity Coverage," VIII Fid. L.J. 75 2002.
- "Rescission of Commercial Crime Policies: Turning Back the Clock on Coverage," Commercial Crime Policy, Marmor and Tomaine, 2nd edition, 2005.
J.D., Washington University School of Law, 1991
- Executive Editor of Recent Developments, Journal of Urban & Contemporary Law
B.A., Washington University, 1988
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Rhode Island
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island