Chantel Wonder focuses her practice in consumer financial services. She has substantial experience in the policies and operating procedures surrounding matters involving the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and other financial industry standards. Ms. Wonder defends consumer claims, including the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act claims, and the Telephone Consumer Practice Act. She has experience in all phases of litigation, including bench trials, contested hearings, discovery, depositions, and attorneys fee hearings. In addition, Ms. Wonder advises and counsels her clients on current trends, monitors accounts and staff actions involving compliance with federal regulations, laws and CFPB consent orders, and Florida case law involving consumer financial matters.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in January 2017, Ms. Wonder was in-house counsel and trial counsel for the state of Florida for a national debt purchasing company from 2011–2017. She is an experienced attorney, skilled in highly contested consumer litigation, counterclaims, attorneys’ fees litigation, and industry compliance.
She began her legal career in 2010 as an associate with a full-service firm in Tampa, Florida, focusing on foreclosure and bankruptcy work.
Ms. Wonder was the first recipient of the Edward D. Foreman Scholarship at Stetson Law School. She obtained a certificate in International Law from Stetson Law, studying abroad at the Hague and attending trials at the International Criminal Court and the War Crimes Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. During her undergraduate studies Ms. Wonder studied abroad as a registered visiting student at Magdalen College, University of Oxford, in England.
- Florida Creditors' Bar Association, Board Member and Chair, Fundraising Committee (2011–Present)
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers
- Hillsborough Association of Women Lawyers
- Pinellas Association of Women Lawyers
- National Association of Retail Collection Attorneys (NARCA)
- Debt Buyer Association (DBA)
- Mortgage Brokers Association
- "Litigation Workshop," Florida Creditors' Bar Association Conference, Orlando, Florida, 2016.
- "Business Records Exceptions," Florida Creditors' Bar Association Conference, Orlando, Florida, 2015.
- "Creative Litigation Strategy," Florida Creditors' Bar Association Conference, Orlando, Florida, 2014.
- Congress Takes a Significant Step Towards Replacing Dodd-Frank and Gutting the CFPB Barbara Fernandez, Chantel C. Wonder
- Congress Seeks Dodd-Frank Overhaul and Elephant Dart for Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- No RESPA Claim for Violation of Written Acknowledgement Requirement under Regulation X
Consumer Crossroads: Where Financial Services and Litigation Intersect
Rotary International- Rotary Club of Pinellas Park, Board Member and Treasurer (2015–Present)
J.D., International Law Certificate, Stetson University College of Law, 2010
- Edward D. Foreman Scholar
B.A., Philosophy, Stetson University, Magna Cum Laude, 2007
- Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida