Ms. Chivers focuses her practice on professional liability and complex insurance coverage litigation in state and federal courts. Her professional liability matters encompass the defense of lawyers and design professionals through trial. As a legal malpractice attorney, Ms. Chivers has "re-litigated" underlying matters in various areas of law, including, patent and trademark, divorce, family law, estate planning, bankruptcy, and contract disputes. She has obtained favorable court judgments and settlements on behalf of a wide variety of design clients, including architects; structural, electrical and mechanical engineers; as well as land surveyors, and interior designers. Ms. Chivers also has significant experience in representing and counseling insurers on coverage matters, including construction defect, errors and omissions, directors and officers, builders risk, and miscellaneous lines of insurance.
Ms. Chivers also regularly counsels her design professional and attorney clients on risk management and ethics issues. She further handles risk management hotline counseling for attorney-insureds on behalf of Hinshaw's various insurer clients. She is a regular contributor to various publications on risk management and ethics issues involving lawyers and law firms.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2000, Ms. Chivers worked as an associate with the firm of Burnham & Brown.
- San Francisco Bar Association
Legal Ethics Committee
- American Bar Association
- San Francisco Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, Associate member
- Member, Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Defense Research Institute
- Defense Ethics and Professionalism Publications, Chair
- Association of Professional Responsibility
Lawyers (APRL), member
- Ms. Chivers obtained a $5 million unanimous jury verdict in favor of a major international client in a highly contested breach of contract case. The Court of Appeal affirmed the jury's verdict. Ms. Chivers also prepared the winning Respondent's Brief.
- Ms. Chivers successfully defended a renowned San Francisco architect against design professional negligence claims arising from the new construction of a multi-million dollar luxury home. The trial court granted summary judgment on the issue of standing. The trial court's decision was affirmed by the California Court of Appeal.
- Ms. Chivers has significant experience in defending lawyers and law firms. She has also filed several successful motions to strike pursuant to California’s Anti-Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation (Anti-SLAPP) statute. In 2011, Ms. Chivers obtained an attorneys' fee award for over $240,000 in connection with a successful Anti-SLAPP motion against claims of fraud and conspiracy against a prominent lawyer and law firm in federal court.
Ms. Chivers’ presentations include:
- "Top Tips for Ensuring Cyber Compliance, Mitigating Risk of Breach & Post Breach Obligations," Bolton & Company, Los Angeles, California, January 17, 2017.
- "Liability Issues for Design Professionals," Lorman Webinar, October 31, 2016.
- "Health Care Practice Ethical Issues," The Health Law Committee April MCLE Program, webcast, April 2016.
- "What's Trending in the Insurance Marketplace?," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, March 2016.
- "The Insurance Marketplace and Considerations," Legal Malpractice & Risk Management Conference, Chicago, Illinois, February 2015.
- "Making and Opposing Special Motions to Strike Under California Anti-SLAPP Statute," Continuing Education for the Bar, San Francisco, California, February 2005.
- "Selected Insurance Coverage Issues In California And Nevada Construction Defect Litigation," OneBeacon Insurance Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 2004.
- "Regulation of the Legal Profession in the United States: Overview," Regulation of the Legal Profession Global Guide, April 1, 2017.
- "The Billable Hour Stranglehold on Insurance Defense Litigation," The Recorder, August 10, 2016.
- "Hollywood Trend on Movies About Legal Ethics and Attorneys," Daily Journal, May 6, 2016.
- "Make Your Firm's Practice Groups a Risk Management Tool," The Recorder, April 6, 2016.
- "Actions Speak Louder Than Words: The Legal Ethics of Equality," The Recorder, February 5, 2016.
- "The Dos and Don't of Professional Liability Insurance," Daily Journal, February 3, 2016.
- "Can Zealous Advocacy Go Too Far?," The Recorder, January 19, 2016.
- "Viewpoint: The Clock in Ticking on Mediation Confidentiality," The Recorder, December 8, 2015.
"Six Tips for Negotiating Fees," The Recorder, November 9, 2015.
- "The Anti-SLAPP Battleground and Davis v. Cox", DRI's, Riding the E&O Line, Volume 16 Issue 3 2015.
- "That Insurer Must Provide Independent Counsel Even Where Conflict Would Not Affect Outcome of Liability," E&O Weekly Prevention, Agents of America, August 8, 2013.
- "Three Insurance Pitfalls to Avoid for the Design Professional," co-author, The Professional Line, December 2008.
- "Selected Insurance Coverage Issues Arising In California and Nevada Construction Defect Litigation," a Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP publication, 2004.
- "California Law Regarding the Appointment of Independent Counsel," section author, a Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP publication, "Independent Counsel Law In All 50 States," 2005.
- "Limiting Liability for Design Professionals in Construction Defect Claims," published in Professional Lines, a Hinshaw newsletter, May 2005.
- "Interpreting the Competing Interests of the CGL Insured and Insurer," The Professional Line, June 2004.
- May 17, 2017
- March 28, 2017
- September 21, 2016
- Cassidy Chivers and Kendra Basner Author Article on Alternative Fee Arrangements in Insurance Defense MarketAugust 11, 2016
- Kendra Basner and Cassidy Chivers Author Article on the Hollywood Trend of Attorneys and Legal EthicsMay 6, 2016
- Cassidy Chivers and Kendra Basner Author Article on Using a Firm's Practice Groups as a Risk Management ToolApril 6, 2016
- Cassidy Chivers and Kendra Basner Author Article "Actions Speak Louder Than Words: The Legal Ethics of Equality"February 8, 2016
- February 4, 2016
- October 28, 2016
- September 8, 2016Lawyers for the Profession®
- May 3, 2016
- Client Agreement and Failure to Terminate Representation Under the Terms of Client Agreement Results in Firm's Disqualification Under Concurrent Representation RuleJanuary 25, 2016Lawyers for the Profession®
- Engineer Who Placed His Seal On Allegedly Defective Design Plans Did Not Have An Independent Tort Duty To OwnerAugust 12, 2014Professional Lines Alert
- California Appellate Court Holds That Insurer Must Provide Independent Counsel Even Where Conflict Would Not Affect Outcome of LiabilityJune 18, 2013Insurance Coverage Alert
- California and Illinois Appellate Courts Uphold Contractual Statute of Limitations Provision Abrogating Delayed Discovery RuleJune 12, 2013Professional Lines Alert
- May 31, 2011
- August 10, 2010
- April 15, 2010
J.D., University of San Francisco, 1999
B.A., with honors, California State University, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California