Bradford Carver is an experienced trial lawyer with a particular emphasis on surety, fidelity, construction and commercial litigation. He began his legal practice in 1980 as an attorney for a major surety company. He moved into private practice several years later and currently handles matters throughout New England in the areas of surety, construction, fidelity and commercial litigation.
Mr. Carver joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in July 2005 to open the firm's Boston office. Previously, and for 10 years, Mr. Carver served on the firm's Management Committee
- American Bar Association
- Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- Fidelity and Surety Law Committee
- Forum on the Construction Industry
- Surety Claims Institute
- National Bond Claims Association
Honors & Awards
- Included in "The Best Lawyers in America" in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Construction Law, Litigation - Construction (2015–2017).
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by New England Super Lawyers magazine
- AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- Stonington Water Street Assoc., LLC v. Hodess Building Co., Inc., 992 F. Supp 2d 253 (D. Conn. 2011), aff'd 472 Fed. Appx. 71 (July 9, 2012)
- Dowd Plumbing Corp. v. Travelers Casualty & Surety Company of America, 73 Mass.App. 1120, 900 N.E.2d 912 (2009)
- Reliance Insurance Company v. City of Boston, 71 Mass. App. 550, 884 N.E.2d 524 (2008)
- C&I Steel, Inc. v. Travelers Casualty and Surety Company of America, 70 Mass. App. 653, 876 N.E. 2d 442 (2007)
- Williams v. Ashland Engineering, 45 F.3d 588 (1st Cir. 1995)
- Jefferson Bank v. Progressive Casualty Ins. Co., 965 F.2d 1274 (3d. Cir. 1992)
- Broadway National Bank v. Progressive Casualty Ins. Co., 775 F.Supp. 123 (NYDC 1991)
Mr. Carver has lectured extensively on the topics of fidelity and surety. He has spoken before the American Bar Association, New England Bond Claims Association, National Association of Independent Sureties, National Bond Claims Association, Chicago Surety Claims Association, and Fidelity Law Association.
A sampling of his presentations includes:
"The Law of Payment Bonds: Notice and Suit Limitations," Mid-Winter Meeting, ABA Tort and Insurance Practice Committee, Fidelity and Surety Sub-Committee, New York, New York, January 2016.
"How to Get Your Cake and Eat it Too - The Top Ten Mistakes to Avoid When Asserting a Bond Claim: Tips from the insiders," Forum on Construction Law, ABA Midwinter Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona, January 2015.
- "Surety Basics: Performance Bonds, Payment Bonds, Claims and Indemnity," Boston Bar Association, Boston, Massachusetts, May 2013.
- “Dos and Don’ts When Submitting a Payment Bond Claim,” Forum on the Construction Industry, American Bar Association, Boston, Massachusetts, October 2012.
- "Change Orders, Extras and Claims: What is the Completing Surety To Do?," Mid-Winter Meeting, ABA Tort and Insurance Practice Committee, Fidelity and Surety Sub-Committee, New York, New York, January 2011.
- “Insurance and Bonding,” ABA Forum on the Construction Industry’s seminar “Fundamentals of Construction Law: Learn the Basics from the Pros,” Boston, Massachusetts, November 2009.
- “Faithful Performance: The Intersection of Fidelity and Surety,” 2009 Mid-Winter Meeting, ABA Tort and Insurance Practice Committee, Fidelity and Surety Sub-Committee, New York, New York, January 2009.
- “Litigating the Big Dig,” Hinshaw’s 2007 Insurance Services Symposium, Chicago, Illinois, May 2007.
- "Fidelity Bonds, The Duty to Mitigate," Surety Claims Institute.
- "The Authorized Representative Exclusion: Placing the Risk Where it Ought to Be," National Bond Claims Association.
Mr. Carver has lectured and written extensively on fidelity and surety topics. His publications include:
- "Bond Default Manual", Contributor Fourth Edition, Chapter on "Tender", ABA TIPS, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, 2015.
- "Can an Obligee's Delayed Termination of a Principal Under an A312 Performance Bond Discharge the Surety?" co-author, Surety Claims Institute Newsletter, Vol. 25, No. 3, September 2013.
- Contributor, “Underwriters Desk Handbook,” (New Hampshire), 2013 Mid-Winter Meeting, ABA-TIPS, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, American Bar Association.
- Contributor, “Payment Bond Manual, Third Edition,” sections on Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont, The American Bar Association, April 2006.
- Contributor, “The Law of Motor Vehicle Dealer Bonds,” ABA-TIPS, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, American Bar Association, 2006.
- Contributor, “Performance Bond Manual” sections on Massachusetts and Vermont law, ABA-TIPS, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, American Bar Association, 2006.
- Contributor, “Annotated Financial Institution Bond,” ABA-TIPS, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, American Bar Association, 2004.
- Chapter, "Loss and Causation," “Handling Fidelity Bond Claims,’ Fidelity and Surety Law Committee of the American Bar Association, 1999.
- "The Auditor's Responsibility to Detect Fraud," “Fidelity Law Association Journal,” Volume IV, September 1998.
- Contributor, “Performance Bonds: The Most Important Question a Surety Can Ask,” ABA-TIPS, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee of the American Bar Association, 1997.
- Contributor, “Miscellaneous Bonds,” ABA-TIPS, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee of the American Bar Association, 1993.
- "The Authorized Representative Exclusion," paper for the National Bond Claims Association, 1996.
- August 15, 2016
- August 17, 2015
- August 19, 2014
- Hinshaw Secures Precedent-Setting Decision in Second Circuit on Issue of Performance Bond ObligationsJuly 20, 2012
- October 21, 2011
J.D., cum laude, Western New England College School of Law, 1980
A.B., Colgate University, 1977, History
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts