Clients regularly retain Avanti Bakane in a variety of complex matters. She represents publicly traded and smaller companies alike in areas such as complex class action, antitrust, and other commercial litigation with a focus in consumer class action defense. Ms. Bakane has experience in federal and state courts across the country. She assists with ethical and compliance matters and is a key asset in pre-suit negotiations, litigation, and other legal counseling.
Outside of the office, Ms. Bakane served as immediate past President of the South Asian Bar Association of Chicago (formerly the Indian-American Bar Association of Chicago), is currently an Honorary Board Member for the Asian American Bar Association of Chicago, and volunteers with several non-profit organizations to provide opportunities for underprivileged youth and to end gender violence. Ms. Bakane will serve as Central Regional Governor for the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) from 2016-2018.
Ms. Bakane joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in October 2009.
During law school, Ms. Bakane served as an extern for two semesters to the Honorable Irwin J. Solganick, Law Division, Circuit Court of Cook County. She also worked as a research assistant to DePaul Professors Steven H. Resnicoff and Song Richardson. She was a member of DePaul’s International Moot Court team for two years.
Before she attended law school, Ms. Bakane worked as a discovery paralegal for a year at a Chicago firm.
During her undergraduate studies, Ms. Bakane worked as a resident assistant with a number of programs. In addition, she was a consulting academic tutor for the University of Veritas in San Jose, Costa Rica, where she tutored, translated and taught Spanish for International University students learning the language.
- Leading India's Future Today
- Associate Board of Directors (2016)
- South Asian Bar Association of Chicago (formerly the Indian-American Bar Association of Chicago), Member
- President (2015)
- President-Elect (2014)
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Central Regional Governor (2016–2018)
- Asian American Bar Association of Chicago, Honorary Board Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- Women's Bar Association of Illinois, Member
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Lawyers Of Color's Inaugural Hot List Issue 2013
In September 2008, Ms. Bakane participated in a round table discussion with other law students that was captured and published as "Law Student Roundtable," in the September 11, 2008, edition of Chicago Lawyer.
Her presentations include:
- "The Pending Proceeding Limitation to Rule 2004 Discovery," Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, December 2009.
Ms. Bakane is a regular contributor to Hinshaw’s labor and employment newsletter, the Employment Practices Newsletter.
Her publications also include:
- "Domestic Violence in India," DePaul Women's Law Caucus, 2009 Digest.
- "Recent Litigation on Out of Statute Debt," MAPbulletin, ACA International, September 2012.
- July 20, 2016
- July 1, 2016
- Avanti Bakane Selected Governor of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association's Central RegionApril 7, 2016
- February 13, 2015
- January 23, 2015
- December 18, 2013
- October 4, 2013
- October 2, 2013
- April 18, 2016
- June 9, 2015
- January 28, 2015
- March 17, 2014
- October 14, 2013
- December 6, 2012
- September 7, 2012
- February 6, 2012
- July 5, 2011
- May 5, 2011
- March 1, 2011
- January 6, 2011
- November 3, 2010
- February 1, 2010
- January 4, 2010
Apna Ghar, Annual Taste for Life event, Host Committee (2014, 2015 and 2016), Volunteer
- First Defense Legal Aid, Volunteer
- Lawyers in the Classroom Program, Volunteer
- Cause for Paws, Volunteer
J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 2009
- CALI Award, Litigation Lab
B.A., Anthropology / Spanish, University of California at Santa Barbara, 2005
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan