Anthony Debre practices civil litigation, insurance defense, and insurance coverage in state and federal courts throughout Missouri and Illinois. He concentrates in the defense of claims involving professional negligence, errors and omissions, medical malpractice, employment discrimination including age and gender discrimination under the Missouri Human Rights Act, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties, personal injury, premises liability, wrongful death, property damage, product liability, automobile negligence, transportation, and other commercial general liability matters.
In addition, Mr. Debre represents insurance carriers in coverage disputes, including claims for coverage under property and CGL policies, class action suits, and alleged violations of federal statutes, including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. He focuses on analyzing policy provisions and exclusions, evaluating coverage, drafting coverage opinions, prosecuting complaints for declaratory relief, filing motions for summary judgment, and obtaining declaratory judgments.
Mr. Debre engages in all phases of litigation, including pleadings, complex discovery, claim investigation, legal research, motion practice, oral arguments, depositions, witness preparation, mediations, settlement negotiations, and trial.
Prior to joining Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in 2015, Mr. Debre worked for nearly six years as a litigation associate in the Chicago office of a multi-state insurance defense firm, where he managed a variety of cases as lead attorney from inception through trial. He concentrated primarily in premises liability, auto and construction negligence, wrongful death, dram shop, medical malpractice, product liability, breach of contract, bad faith, and insurance coverage. Mr. Debre has represented a variety of clients, including hotels, restaurants, shopping centers, nightclubs, grocery stores, health clubs, railroads, general contractors, subcontractors, insurance companies, insurance agents, doctors, landlords, and tenants.
Over the last few years, Mr. Debre has tried multiple jury cases to verdict as both 1st-chair and 2nd-chair, taken over 100 depositions, drafted appellate briefs, and successfully argued over 100 motions, including motions for summary judgment. Moreover, he has engaged in extensive discovery and achieved favorable outcomes in several arbitrations, mediations, and settlement negotiations.
In the past, Mr. Debre represented plaintiffs in personal injury matters and clerked for a trial judge, where he researched evidentiary matters and wrote court opinions. He also interned with the St. Louis County Public Defender Office. With this diverse background, Mr. Debre has the insight and ability to analyze a case from all perspectives and obtain the best results for his clients.
Mr. Debre earned his law degree from Washington University School of Law in St. Louis graduating with honors on the Dean’s List and receiving CALI Awards for the highest grade in Legal Writing and Advanced Trial Advocacy. During law school, he excelled in Moot Court oral arguments and brief writing.
Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers, Member (2015–Present)
- Missouri Bar Association, Member (2015–Present)
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Member (2015–Present)
- Chicago Bar Association, Member (2010–2016)
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member (2009–2016)
- Pro Bono Panel for the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, Member
Washington University in St. Louis School of Law – J.D., 2009
- Dean's List
- CALI Award – Legal Writing
- CALI Award – Advanced Trial Advocacy
- Moot Court – Best Brief Honorable Mention Award
University of Dayton – B.A., Psychology, Summa Cum Laude, 2006
- Dean's List
- Mock Trial – Captain; Vice President; 2005 National Qualifier
- Phi Alpha Delta – Service Chair
- Award of Excellence to the Most Outstanding Student in Psychology – Sole Recipient for Class of 2006
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri