Angela Rust focuses her practice in the area of health care law and is a member of the firm’s Health Care Practice Group. Ms. Rust advises health care providers with regard to corporate and regulatory compliance, including HIPAA/HITECH, the Physician Self-Referral Act (Stark), the Anti-Kickback Statute, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and restrictions on fee-splitting and the corporate practice of medicine. Ms. Rust also counsels and represents health care providers with regard to mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other affiliations, licensure and certification issues, and reimbursement, including the negotiation and structuring of contracts under fee for service and alternative models, such as bundled payment programs.
With a Master of Arts degree in bioethics, Ms. Rust also brings to her practice experience in collaborating with medical professionals, ethicists and attorneys with regard to bioethics law, consultation and policy development.
Ms. Rust has also handled litigated matters in both the state and federal court systems, including the representation of health care providers and attorneys facing claims of malpractice, the defense of personal injury and other tort claims, and a wide range of commercial disputes.
Ms. Rust joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in September 2008. Previously, she served as law clerk for the Honorable William Griesbach, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin.
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Health Law Section Board of Directors
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Society for Bioethics & Humanities
- Outagamie County Bar Association
- St. Thomas More Society of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Green Bay, Wisconsin
Honors & Awards
- Named to the Rising Stars list in the area of Health Care law by Wisconsin Super Lawyers magazine, 2013
- "Communication and Conflict Resolution in the Workplace," Fox Valley Chapter of the Society for Human Resource Management Annual Labor & Employment Law Update, Kimberly, Wisconsin, October 2013.
- "Ethical Implications in Genomics: The New Frontier," OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center Ethics Fall Conference, Northern Illinois University Center, DeKalb, Illinois, September 2013.
- "A Toolbox for Addressing Disruptive Provider Behavior," Wisconsin Medical Society 14th Annual Symposium, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, September 2013.
- "HIPAA Webinar: General Changes to Privacy Practices," webinar, Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, July 2013.
- "'BAA' Humbug: Business Associate Agreements of the Future," Second Annual Health, Labor, and Employment Law Institute, State Bar of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, August 2013.
- "If It’s Subsidized, Get it Authorized: New Restrictions on the Sale and Use of PHI for Marketing Purposes Under HIPAA’s Omnibus Rule," Wisconsin Healthcare Public Relations & Marketing Society Webinar, June 2013.
- "Bundled Payments," Hinshaw’s Annual Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2012.
- "3-H Marketing: Healthcare, HIPAA and HITECH," Legato Healthcare Marketing webinar, November 2012.
- "Payer/Provider Contracting: The Buck Starts Here," Wisconsin Medical Society's 13th Annual Midwest Coding & Practice Management Symposium, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, September 2012.
- "Health Care Reform" and "Achieving Meaningful Use of Electronic Health Records," Hinshaw’s Health Care Law Update: What You Need to Know Now, Appleton, Wisconsin, September 2010.
- "Write-Offs and Waivers: When to Report Risk Management Activity Under MMSEA Section 111," Wisconsin Society for Healthcare Risk Management Fall Conference, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, September 2010.
- "Important Changes to HIPAA," last in a series of Hinshaw Health Care Law Breakfast Briefings, Appleton, Wisconsin, January 2010.
- "Electronic Medical Stimulus Opportunities," Hinshaw’s 2009 Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2009.
- "Corporate Compliance Plans," first in a series of Hinshaw Health Care Law Breakfast Briefings, Appleton, Wisconsin, August 2009.
- "The Red Flag Rules: Are You in Compliance?" Hinshaw and Schenck Health Services Solutions workshop, Milwaukee and Appleton, Wisconsin, March 2009.
- "Medical Records Law in Wisconsin," Lorman Education Services seminar, Appleton, Wisconsin, November 2008.
- "Medical Identity Theft: Responding to Red Flags and Address Discrepancies,” chapter co-author, "Health Law and Compliance Update," Aspen Publishers, January 2010 edition.
- "The ABCs of IRBs for Attorney Community Members," Health Lawyers Weekly, American Health Lawyer's Association, Volume 10, Issue 18, May 4, 2012.
- "A New Routine: Assisting Patients in Responding to Prenatal Diagnosis," comment, 90 Marq. L. Rev. 337 (2006).
- February 5, 2013Health Law Alert
- CMS Issues Two Final Rules Modifying Hospital Conditions of Participation and Updating Other ProvisionsMay 16, 2012Health Law Alert
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Clarifies What Types of Health Care Facilities Qualify for Property Tax ExemptionJuly 22, 2011Health Law Alert
- Changes Affecting Hospital and Critical Access Hospital Medicare Conditions of Participation Governing Telemedicine Credentialing and PrivilegingMay 10, 2011Health Law Alert
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services Issues New Guidance on the Preparation of Consumer Reports Required Under the New Health Care Transparency LawDecember 20, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- September 29, 2010
- June 3, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- May 26, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- May 26, 2010
- May 24, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- May 6, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- Wisconsin Creates Statutory Presumption That Billing Statements and Invoices Reflect the Reasonable Value of Reasonably Necessary Health Care ServicesApril 9, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
Angela is a life-long resident of the Green Bay/Fox Cities area. She currently lives in De Pere, Wisconsin with her husband, who is also an attorney, and their two young daughters.
- Bioethics Committee of St. Elizabeth Hospital, Member
- Institutional Review Board of Affinity Health System, in Appleton, Wisconsin, Member
Certificate, Dispute Resolution, Marquette University Graduate School, 2007
M.A., Bioethics, Medical College of Wisconsin, 2007
J.D., magna cum laude, Marquette University Law School, 2007
- Note and Comment Editor, Marquette University Law Review
- Recipient, St. Thomas More Scholarship
B.A., summa cum laude with honors, Political Science, Marian College, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin