Angela Rust helps health care providers transition to value-based reimbursement and integrated delivery models, with a focus on direct contracting between providers and employers and bundled payment programs. She particularly enjoys serving as outside general counsel to physician-owned organizations and helping physician's groups survive and thrive in the changing health care marketplace.
Angela believes that the best compliance strategies are those that are practical, understandable, and developed with business realities in mind. She is experienced navigating how laws like HIPAA, Stark, the Anti-kickback Statute, and the Affordable Care Act shape transactions among health care providers and their day to day operations.
Angela's experience delivering clinical ethics consults gives her a first-hand appreciation of the legal and ethical challenges her clients and their patients face, and she draws upon her bioethics training to counsel providers on issues such as prenatal diagnosis, end of life decision-making, and medical research.
Comfortable in the board room or the court room, Angela has represented clients in state and federal courts and before professional examining boards, including health care providers involved in malpractice claims, licensure actions, and business disputes.
Angela joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in September 2008. Previously, she served as law clerk for the Honorable William Griesbach, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin.
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Immediate Past Chair, Health Law Section Board of Directors
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Society for Bioethics & Humanities
- Outagamie County Bar Association
- St. Thomas More Society of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Green Bay, Wisconsin
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" in the field of health law by Wisconsin Super Lawyers magazine (2013 – 2015)
"Beginning to Bundle," Association of Wisconsin Surgery Centers, Inc. webinar, June, 2016.
- "The ASC Check-Up: Diagnosing and Preventing Common Legal Problems," Association of Wisconsin Surgery Centers, Inc. webinar, October 2015.
- "The Medical Practice Check-up: Examining Your Practice to Prevent or Diagnose Common Legal Problems," Hinshaw Lunch and Learn Series, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, June 2015.
"The Medical Practice Check-Up: Diagnosing and Preventing Common Legal Problems," Hinshaw & Culbertson Lunch and Learn Series Program, Appleton, Wisconsin, May 2015.
"Earlier Age of Viability: Is 23 the New 24 Weeks?," Wisconsin Association for Perinatal Care 45th Annual Conference, Appleton, Wisconsin, April 2015.
"POA, POLST, DNR and Other Advanced Directives," Advanced Mediation Training: Elder Mediation, Winnebago County Conflict Resolution Center, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, November 2014.
"Bioethics: Current Issues for Attorneys," National Business Institute teleconference, October, 2014.
- "So Happy Together: Employers and Providers Working Together to Control Health Care Costs," Third Annual Health, Labor, and Employment Law Institute, State Bar of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, August 2014.
"Getting the Most From Your State Bar," State Bar of Wisconsin Annual Meeting & Conference, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, June 2014.
- "Communication and Conflict Resolution in the Workplace," Fox Valley Chapter of the Society for Human Resource Management Annual Labor & Employment Law Update, Kimberly, Wisconsin, October 2013.
- "Ethical Implications in Genomics: The New Frontier," Panelist, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center Ethics Fall Conference, Northern Illinois University Center, DeKalb, Illinois, September 2013.
- "A Toolbox for Addressing Disruptive Provider Behavior," Wisconsin Medical Society 14th Annual Symposium, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, September 2013.
- "'BAA' Humbug: Business Associate Agreements of the Future," Second Annual Health, Labor, and Employment Law Institute, State Bar of Wisconsin, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, August 2013.
- "HIPAA Webinar: General Changes to Privacy Practices," webinar, Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP, July 2013.
- "If It’s Subsidized, Get it Authorized: New Restrictions on the Sale and Use of PHI for Marketing Purposes Under HIPAA’s Omnibus Rule," Wisconsin Healthcare Public Relations & Marketing Society Webinar, June 2013.
- "Bundled Payments," Hinshaw’s Annual Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2012.
- "3-H Marketing: Healthcare, HIPAA and HITECH," Legato Healthcare Marketing webinar, November 2012.
- "Payer/Provider Contracting: The Buck Starts Here," Wisconsin Medical Society's 13th Annual Midwest Coding & Practice Management Symposium, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, September 2012.
- "Health Care Reform" and "Achieving Meaningful Use of Electronic Health Records," Hinshaw’s Health Care Law Update: What You Need to Know Now, Appleton, Wisconsin, September 2010.
- "Write-Offs and Waivers: When to Report Risk Management Activity Under MMSEA Section 111," Wisconsin Society for Healthcare Risk Management Fall Conference, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, September 2010.
- "Important Changes to HIPAA," last in a series of Hinshaw Health Care Law Breakfast Briefings, Appleton, Wisconsin, January 2010.
- "Electronic Medical Stimulus Opportunities," Hinshaw’s 2009 Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2009.
- "Corporate Compliance Plans," first in a series of Hinshaw Health Care Law Breakfast Briefings, Appleton, Wisconsin, August 2009.
- "The Red Flag Rules: Are You in Compliance?" Hinshaw and Schenck Health Services Solutions workshop, Milwaukee and Appleton, Wisconsin, March 2009.
- "Medical Records Law in Wisconsin," Lorman Education Services seminar, Appleton, Wisconsin, November 2008.
- "Tapping Into the Self-Insured Employer Market," co-author, Outpatient Surgery Magazine, March 2016.
"Practice Area Snapshot: Independent Physicians Groups," Wisconsin Health Law News, State Bar of Wisconsin, Vol. 7, Issue 3, October 2015.
- "Corporate Practice of Medicine: A Fifty State Survey," chapter co-author, published by the American Health Lawyers Association, 2014.
- "The ABCs of IRBs for Attorney Community Members," Health Lawyers Weekly, American Health Lawyer's Association, Volume 10, Issue 18, May 4, 2012.
- "Medical Identity Theft: Responding to Red Flags and Address Discrepancies,” chapter co-author, "Health Law and Compliance Update," Aspen Publishers, January 2010 edition.
- "A New Routine: Assisting Patients in Responding to Prenatal Diagnosis," comment, 90 Marq. L. Rev. 337 (2006).
- February 9, 2016Health Law Alert
- December 29, 2015Health Law Alert
- November 12, 2015Health Law Alert
- January 27, 2015Health Law Alert
- February 5, 2013Health Law Alert
- CMS Issues Two Final Rules Modifying Hospital Conditions of Participation and Updating Other ProvisionsMay 16, 2012Health Law Alert
- Wisconsin Supreme Court Clarifies What Types of Health Care Facilities Qualify for Property Tax ExemptionJuly 22, 2011Health Law Alert
- Changes Affecting Hospital and Critical Access Hospital Medicare Conditions of Participation Governing Telemedicine Credentialing and PrivilegingMay 10, 2011Health Law Alert
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services Issues New Guidance on the Preparation of Consumer Reports Required Under the New Health Care Transparency LawDecember 20, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- September 29, 2010
- June 3, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- May 26, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- May 26, 2010
- May 24, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- May 6, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
- Wisconsin Creates Statutory Presumption That Billing Statements and Invoices Reflect the Reasonable Value of Reasonably Necessary Health Care ServicesApril 9, 2010Hinshaw Health Law Alert
Angela is a life-long resident of the Green Bay/Fox Cities area. She currently lives in Oshkosh, Wisconsin with her husband, who is also an attorney, and their three young children.
- Bioethics Committee of St. Elizabeth Hospital, Member
- Institutional Review Board of Affinity Health System, in Appleton, Wisconsin, Member
J.D., magna cum laude, Marquette University Law School, 2007
- Note and Comment Editor, Marquette University Law Review
- Recipient, St. Thomas More Scholarship
Certificate, Dispute Resolution, Marquette University Graduate School, 2007
M.A., Bioethics, Medical College of Wisconsin, 2007
B.A., summa cum laude with honors, Political Science, Marian College, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin