Andrew Grigsby has a civil trial practice that includes extensive experience in cases emphasizing insurance issues. He has handled trials and appeals in matters involving insurance coverage, bad faith, uninsured motorist claims, insurance broker errors, omissions and property claims.
He has also been trial and appellate counsel in litigation over general tort claims and accidents involving heavy vehicles and equipment, including tractor-trailers, cranes and railroads.
Mr. Grigsby has argued appeals in every jurisdiction, state and federal, in the state of Florida.
Mr. Grigsby has been a member of The Florida Bar since 1981. He is Board Certified as a specialist in Civil Trial Law by The Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization, and has been retained and testifies as an expert witness on Florida law regarding insurance coverage and bad faith issues in both first party and third party insurance matters.
Exemplifying his extensive trial experience, Mr. Grigsby is a former Commissioner and Chair of the Florida Supreme Court Judicial Nominating Commission from 2001 to 2010, and he served as a Commissioner for the Third District Court of Appeal Judicial Nominating Commission from 1999 to 2001.
He joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in March 1996.
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) Member (2011 – Present)
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Member (1996 – Present)
- The Federalist Society, Member (2004 – Present)
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a "Super Lawyer" by Florida Super Lawyers magazine (2006 – Present)
- Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
Mr. Grigsby’s clients include many major regional and national insurance carriers. Among them are:
- Ally Financial, Inc.
- American Modern Insurance Group
- Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Services
- Citizens Property Insurance Corporation
- Farmers Insurance Group
- FCCI Insurance Group
- Founders Insurance Company
- GeoVera Specialty Insurance Company
- Great American Insurance Company
- Hartford Insurance Company
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
- Maxum Insurance Company
- Mid-Continent Casualty Company
- Northland Insurance Company
- RLI/Mt. Hawley Insurance Companies
- Travelers Insurance Companies
He is a lecturer on insurance coverage litigation and uninsured motorist coverage for the National Business Institute. Mr. Grigsby also lectures on bad faith avoidance and claims handling. His presentations include:
- "Devil in the Details: Select Coverage Issues," webinar, Farmers Insurance Group, October 2013.
- “Overview of General Bad Faith Principles” and “Denial of Coverage,” National Business Institute, Dania, Florida, June 2012.
- "Recover and Rebuild, Part Two: Resolving Claims with Limited Resources,” Hinshaw’s 2011 Insurance Services Symposium, Chicago, Illinois, October 2011.
- “Understand What the Insurer Is—And Isn’t—Responsible For,” and “Stay on Top of Recent Legal Developments and Special Issues,” National Business Institute seminar “Settling Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claims,” Miami, Florida, September 2011.
- “Florida Uninsured Motor Coverage,” American Modern Insurance Group, Cincinnati, Ohio, June 2010.
- "Defense Under a Reservation of Rights in Florida,” Dade Country Defense Bar Association, Miami, Florida, March 2009.
- “Avoiding the Perils of Claims Handling in Florida,” Farmers Insurance Group and ACE Group of Companies, Alpharetta, Georgia, February 2009.
- “Liability Concerns for Insurers and Insureds: Key Trends and Helpful Strategies,” chapter author, “Minimizing Insurance Liability: Leading Lawyers on Navigating State and Federal Regulations, Evaluating Exposure, and Drafting Agreements (Inside the Minds),” Aspatore, published by Thomson Reuters, February 2009.
- "The Dance of the Porcupines: Defense Under a Reservation of Rights in Florida," The Florida Bar Journal, Volumne 83, No. 2, February 2009.
- May 20, 2013Insurance Coverage Alert
- February 8, 2013Insurance Coverage Alert
- December 7, 2010Insurance Coverage Alert
Retired Commander in the United States Naval Reserve
J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan School of Law, 1981
M.B.A., University of Michigan, 1980
B.A., cum laude with distinction in History, Duke University, 1973
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida