Angela Rust focuses her practice in the area of health care law and is a member of the firm’s Health Care Practice Group. Ms. Rust advises health care providers with regard to corporate and regulatory compliance, including HIPAA/HITECH, the Physician Self-Referral Act (Stark), the Anti-Kickback Statute, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and restrictions on fee-splitting and the corporate practice of medicine. Ms. Rust also counsels and represents health care providers with regard to mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other affiliations, licensure and certification issues, and reimbursement, including the negotiation and structuring of contracts under fee for service and alternative models, such as bundled payment programs.
With a Master of Arts degree in bioethics, Ms. Rust also brings to her practice experience in collaborating with medical professionals, ethicists and attorneys with regard to bioethics law, consultation and policy development.
Ms. Rust has also handled litigated matters in both the state and federal court systems, including the representation of health care providers and attorneys facing claims of malpractice, the defense of personal injury and other tort claims, and a wide range of commercial disputes.
Ms. Rust joined Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in September 2008. Previously she served a law clerk for the Honorable William Griesbach, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin.
Ms. Rust serves on the Health Law Section Board of the Wisconsin Bar Association. Her professional memberships also include the American Health Lawyers Association, the American Society for Bioethics & Humanities, Outagamie County Bar Association, and the St. Thomas More Society of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Green Bay, Wisconsin.
Ms. Rust is a co-author of “Medical Identity Theft: Responding to Red Flags and Address Discrepancies
,” a chapter in Health Law and Compliance Update, 2010 Edition
, published by Aspen Publishers, January 2010.
Her other publications include:
Her presentations include:
- “Bundled Payments,” Hinshaw’s Annual Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2012.
- “3-H Marketing: Healthcare, HIPAA and HITECH,” Legato Healthcare Marketing webinar, November 2012.
- “Payer/Provider Contracting: The Buck Starts Here,” Wisconsin Medical Society's 13th Annual Midwest Coding & Practice Management Symposium, Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, September 2012.
- “Health Care Reform” and “Achieving Meaningful Use of Electronic Health Records,” Hinshaw’s Health Care Law Update: What You Need to Know Now, Appleton, Wisconsin, September 2010.
- “Write-Offs and Waivers: When to Report Risk Management Activity Under MMSEA Section 111,” Wisconsin Society for Healthcare Risk Management Fall Conference, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, September 2010.
- “Important Changes to HIPAA,” last in a series of Hinshaw Health Care Law Breakfast Briefings, Appleton, Wisconsin, January 2010.
- “Electronic Medical Stimulus Opportunities,” Hinshaw’s 2009 Health Care Conference, Lisle, Illinois, November 2009.
- “Corporate Compliance Plans,” first in a series of Hinshaw Health Care Law Breakfast Briefings, Appleton, Wisconsin, August 2009.
- “The Red Flag Rules: Are You in Compliance?” Hinshaw and Schenck Health Services Solutions workshop, Milwaukee and Appleton, Wisconsin, March 2009.
- “Medical Records Law in Wisconsin,” Lorman Education Services seminar, Appleton, Wisconsin, November 2008.
Ms. Rust serves as a member of the Bioethics Committee of St. Elizabeth Hospital, and the Institutional Review Board of Affinity Health System, in Appleton, Wisconsin.